Tuesday, June 14, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 6

Day 6: A song that reminds you of somewhere

I had to wrack my brain quite a bit for this one. Again, I don't know that I can pick a "winner" for the same reasons I listed yesterday (how can something remind you of something MORE than something else reminds you of something else?), but even considering that handicap, I really don't have that good a memory for places. Songs remind me of feelings, sometimes of people (I actually had to think for a couple days on yesterday's "winners), but rarely of places or events (tomorrow will be a pain as well).

In any case, since I am committed to this farce, I will just wing it. Here are the "winners":

Nobody (But You) (Wonder Girls) - Pardon the ads on this one. And the lack of lyrics. It's hard finding just the right version of this song as it is. So I settled for the English version, which somehow feels like cheating, but the opening skit is funnier if you understand it, I guess. In any case, this song reminds me of Taiwan, specifically the karaoke joint the teachers all visited together. I heard it there first and, like a horrible cancer, it infected me through the entire trip to the point that I would find myself humming it while working on my daily journals. In any case, it's a good song. Catchy. Like a disease. Did I already mention that?

Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day) - You know, this is a good song. I should like it. But they played it SO MUCH on the damned radio that it's hard to listen to it anymore without dryheaving. It's actually because of this that it kind of reminds me of the Ledger Newspapers offices where I used to work. It was there, sitting at my desk, that I heard it about fifty bajillion times a day and got sick of it. So, in a way, it kind of reminds me of there (or at least that situation).

Someone to Watch Over Me (George Gershwin) - I didn't bother finding a link for this one because it's actually a specific version of this song, but it reminds me of dancing in my ex-wife's house (to the point that I can't really listen to it anymore). It was the first song I "danced" to (with another person), so it kind of stuck in my memory for that reason. It's not really a "place" that it reminds me of, but I guess it will do. If you really don't know the song, just Youtube it. The version I have is a rather nice bluesy instrumental version. It's a shame it brings back so many painful memories. It's a good arrangement.

You may wonder why my "memory" songs are so weak. Well, as I mentioned before, songs rarely remind me of things specifically. Even in regards to people, I had to stretch it a bit. I don't literally hear a song and think of specific people, places, or events. Sometimes my mind may drift to them, but it's not really reliable. In truth, it's just that I heard these songs at these places so, when thinking of "winners," I kind of shoehorned them in there because it was mildly appropriate. I'm not even sure if I hear "Nobody" I actually think of Taiwan, and I really don't think of my ex's house when I hear "Someone to Watch Over Me," I think of the feelings the song inspires in me.

So, in short, take the above with a grain of salt. I was winging it. And with tomorrow's, most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment