Friday, June 24, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 12

Day 12 - A song from a band that you hate

Ok, so I promised you a little storytime for today and here goes. Back in 2009 or so, I was introduced to a band called Rise Against via a song Give it All. I liked this song enough that I tracked down a bit more of their discography and their music, in general, drove me nuts. Savior, Audience of One, Prayer of the Refuge...all great stuff. So much so that I did something I rarely do: I went to the store and bought their entire CD rather than tracking down individual songs on Amazon or iTunes. I was pleased...until I started reading more about the band.

Now, I can get past the politics. Rise Against is a far-left group that played at Rock Against Bush in 2004 and avidly supported President Obama (who is pretty much continuing everything everyone hated against Bush but you'll never hear any of his strident supporters admit it). I generally don't let my politics get in the way of enjoying popular media, though. As long as I ignored the very liberal undertone to their songs, I was ok. People are free to support whomever they wanted and if I boycotted liberal entertainers, I would probably be stuck watching paint dry. No, it wasn't their politics that immediately made my stomach turn. It was the fact that they avidly supported the efforts of PETA, one of the most notoriously disturbed, backwards, hypocritical, disgusting, misguided, TERRORISTIC jerkholes in the world. I literally felt sick knowing that I had indirectly helped fund PETA. I even tried to return the CD (I couldn't of course, since it was opened). I can put up with a lot of misguided causes in my entertainment celebrities, but this one pushed it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint), I still very much like the music of Rise Against. If they weren't such strong PETA supporters, they probably would have clinched yesterday's winner spot. Alas, I must relegate them to the status of a "band I hate" with "songs I love" thanks to their misguided support of an organization that I consider to be one of the few pure evil groups of human beings on the face of the planet.

Winner: Rise Against

I don't think there could be a runner-up, really. If I don't like a band, I generally don't listen to them (with the exception of Rise Against), so it's hard to say what other bands I really don't like. I'm not real fond of Green Day (though I like their music), but I really wouldn't say I "hate" them. That's why I had a problem with today's theme. Am I supposed to pick a band I hate personally? A band whose music I hate but pick out one song I like? Beats me...

If I had to pick out a band with a discography I'm not fond of but one song I love, I'd probably pick the Cars. Oddly, despite being one of the most popular 80's bands, I really am not fond of much of their music (that I've heard)...except, of course, for one of the two winners of Day 1, Drive. So maybe I should give them the runner-up spot? I don't know. In all honesty, I haven't listened to much of their music, so I don't feel comfortable really calling them a band I "hate" (or even "dislike"). So y'all'll just have to settle for having a winner and some political rambling.

As a final note: did you know Blogspot doesn't mark "y'all'll" as mispelled, but marks its own name as mispelled? Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment