Monday, June 27, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 15

Day 15 - A song that describes you

Once again I exercise my right as the writer of this blog to give a big middle finger to the rules of the 30 Day Song Challenge. As all my copious amounts of readers (all two of you) are no doubt aware, I have not posted for awhile. Between starting work at Walmart, continuing my Plan B Thesis research, and getting back into Dragon Age (three guesses as to which one has been taking up more of my time...and the first two don't count), I haven't had (or haven't made) time to write new blog entries in a number of weeks. That and this particular one gives me a bit of trouble every time I think about it. But I guess it's about time that I just get down to it and post something or other. So here are my winners for Day 15, songs that describe me.

Winner
Real World (Matchbox 20) - I often find that my life is a constant struggle to get the monkey of the "real world" off my back so I can actually enjoy it (life that is). It's a whimsical song, but that sort of "describes" me as well. I do try to keep my sense of humor, even when I feel weighed down by the responsibilities contingent with just getting out of bed in the morning. And yes, I realize my list of "responsibilities" is not particularly long. That doesn't mean they don't feel weighty to me.


Runners Up
Escapist (Nightwish) - This one is more for the name than anything since this song is a proud member of the bizarre "fantasy metal" genre (at least in my mind), but there is something dream-like about this song, as if it was detailing a journey through an eclectic series of fantastic dreams. I am quite the daydreamer myself, particularly while attending to menial tasks like manual labor, driving, etc, etc, and sometimes, as corny as this sounds, I find myself drifting through such eclectic and fantastical dreams like the ones I feel this song to be describing. But really, in the end, it's more for the name...everything I do in my free time is a method of escaping real life for a time. Therefore I am an escapist, no?
Hip to be Square (Huey Lewis and the News) - Here's another goofy one that I found myself considering for one of the winners today. I recently asked my friend from the Ledger if I could borrow his "Best Of" CD of Huey Lewis and the News, largely for this song. I was listening to it one night while feeding dogs and thought to myself "Self, this song is somewhat apropos for describing you." This was particularly relevant as I considered the winners for today, so I made a mental note of it...and here it is. What can I say about this song? I am about as white bread as someone can be. I have never taken any great chances in life, never had any real adventures, never got into any real trouble. To me, the worst thing life can be is "interesting." But you know what? It's hip to be square.

No comments:

Post a Comment