Sunday, June 12, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 5

Day 5 - A song that reminds you of someone
It's been a couple days I know, but I guess there's nothing in the rules that say the 30 days have to be consecutive. So I maintain that I am not out of line here and will not be doing multiple days to catch up.

So nyah.

Anyways, on to Day 5. Any good song is going to have a lot of memories behind it, so there are a lot of these. Particularly when it comes to people we've lost. "Blue" reminds me of a lot of people that have died in my life, but I don't know if I would say that counts. It's not really the memories of the person so much as their death, so I'd say that disqualifies it.

I can't really pick a "winner" of this category in my humble opinion. I don't know that any song "reminds me" of a person more than another song. So here are just a few that remind me of various people:

You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) - Reminds me of my brother, Mark. Way back when I was a wee sprout, he declared that this was "our song" for some reason or another. I still to this day do not know why, but it's stuck with me all these years, so I think of him when I hear it.

After we watched the music video to this song, we went to Pizza Hut. Don't ask me how I remember that day. I just do.

Uprising (Muse) - This one reminds me of my friend Jake for reasons that are obvious to anyone should they know Jake. REVOLUTION.

In the Living Years (Mike and the Mechanics) - Again, for obvious reasons, this reminds me of my father. It's kind of indicative of how our relationship was, I think. I think dad and I were a lot more alike than we'd care to admit, and even though we "never saw eye to eye," I probably should have tried to be closer to him when he was still alive.

But I imagine these are typical regrets for most people. Hindsight and all that. I still think of him whenever I hear this song and though it reminds me of his death in some ways, I think more about our relationship during his life when I hear this song. So I'd say it counts.

Sky Chord (Tsuji Shion) - This one reminds me of another friend of mine who really likes this song. Since I heard it first thanks to her, I can't help but think of her whenever I hear it. Another similar song is Sayonara Solitia (Saeko Chiba).

1 comment: