Tuesday, May 31, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 3

Note: Starting today I figured out how to work the url command in blogspot, so just click on the song title to go to the youtube video of the song.

Day 3: A song that makes you happy
This is going to be an odd one. I'll list the winner first and then give an explanation, because a lot of you are going to listen to this song and just...scratch your head.
Listen to this song first, then read my description below.

Ok, so, assuming you listened to the song, I can probably imagine what you're thinking. "It's just screaming. There's nothing musical about it. This is a horrible song!" This was pretty much my first impression of it. "I Wanna Be" is the first ending/credits theme from an animé called Soul Eater (one of my favorites). The first time I heard it, I went out of my way to avoid the ending credits of the series. But after a few episodes, a miraculous thing started to happen...I started to listen to it more and more.

There is something primal about this song, even before you get to the lyrics and the translation (I didn't even look up the translation for months after I started listening to the song). It has always sounded somewhat affirming--even defiant--to me, like the singers are screaming at everything that is bad and unpleasant in life, everything that would hold them back and tell them "you can't do this" or "you're not good enough". I can't help but be uplifted. I always imagine the singers saying "we can't sing, but screw that, we're going to do it and have fun with it!" (I imagine they are better singers than this song would have us believe, of course).

This probably means little to you, dear reader, but isn't that sort of what music is? Something deeply personal and internal to each of us? I don't expect you to understand. But try and give the song another listen, keeping in mind my feelings on it and see if you think the same. Here, I'll even give you the translation (thank you, animelyrics.com).

Edit: Due to formatting issues, the best I can do is link the lyrics and their translation. Click here.

I don't expect to have converted anyone to liking this song, really. It's one of those quirky things unique to me, I imagine (well, I'm sure there's others in the world who like this song, but I doubt anyone I know would). But in the end, this is a song that makes me feel happy and uplifted and even optimistic. So I would be remiss to not give this day to it.

For those of you who didn't like my previous choice (which I imagine is all of you...and I don't hold it against you. It's an acquired taste), you can feel free to imagine this song as my "winner". This one's a bit more straight forward. It's a lot of the same emotions as "I Wanna Be," but a little less obscure, a little less bizzare, a little more musical, and a little less Japanese. It's pretty straight forward. Life is hard. I'm down on my luck. But damnit, someday things are going to be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment